Monday, May 17, 2010

Charice - a pint-sized teen singer from the Philippines - may become America's next top pop star!


She stands barely 5 feet tall and won't be legal for another four years. But when 17-year-old pop singer Charice opens her mouth, out pours a voice as burly and sure as Whitney Houston's in her "I Will Always Love You" prime.

That surprise twist made this teen singer from the Philippines a YouTube phenom throughout Asia last year and, more recently, led to appearances on "Ellen" and even "Oprah."



The girl born Charmaine Clarice Relucio Pempengco just released her self-titled debut, featuring a Rihanna-sound-alike single, "Pyramid," that has already hit the Billboard dance chart's top five. The News met Charice to talk in her favorite place in New York: the ESPN Zone in Times Square.

When people look at you, no one expects that huge voice to come out. Does this make you the Susan Boyle of teen pop?

Oh, that's such a compliment. But in the Philippines, it's not such a big deal because there are a lot of little people there and a lot of them have big voices. It feels weird to me that people are so surprised. But I do think it's one of the reasons I made it.

The only thing most Americans know about the Philippines is Imelda Marcos' gigantic shoe collection. What should we know about the place?

The Philippines is a very musical country. If you go there, most everyone sings. And even if they don't, they know who's great at it. Also, there are great tourist spots. The weather's always warm. You should go.

Are you from Manila, the capital, or from somewhere else?

I'm from Tagaytay, which is four hours away from Manila. It's a little higher, in the mountains. We're close to volcanoes, which is one of the tourist parts. It's perfect weather for a singer, because it's not too hot and not too cold.

You got your first break on the kid-oriented talent show "Little Big Star." Is that entirely a singing competition, or do some kids do other stuff, like swallow swords?

Oh, no — it's all singing. It's pretty much like "American Idol" for kids. They have two divisions: 5 to 8 years old and 11 to 13. I was 12 when I went on. I passed the first auditions, then made it to the final screening, then went to television and got all the way to the finale. But I didn't win.

How close were you?

I came in third.

So how did you end up getting so much attention?

A guy named David in the Philippines — who I didn't know at the time — posted one of my performances from the show on YouTube. I was singing "I Will Always Love You." It got like a million hits. That's why I got discovered for a Korean talent show. Then I was performing in Korea and David posted one of those on YouTube, and Ellen DeGeneres saw that and after a week I made it on her show. Then friends posted the show from Ellen, and I got on "Oprah."


After "Oprah," you were invited by Celine Dion to sing with her at the Garden. How did that come about?

For me, that moment at the Garden was the most memorable moment I've ever had. The first song I ever heard, when I was 4 years old, was "My Heart Will Go On." Here's what happened: When I was on "Oprah," I told them I would sing the Beyoncé song "Listen." But they told me to sing a Celine song. I didn't know why. They said, "What song do you know?" and I said "My Heart Will Go On." So they said, "Sing that." I was onstage, and Oprah told me there's a working mother who has an album, too, and she was watching via satellite. When I turned around, it was Celine Dion. It was such a surprise. My fans were asking if the reaction was real. It was. I didn't know what to do. I was crying. That's the time Celine said she wanted to sing with me onstage and that she would dedicate a song to my mother.

Why did she dedicate it to her?

Every time I perform I dedicate a song to my mother. She's been my vocal coach. She was a singer in a band, and that's why I was so envious of her. She was singing Whitney songs and Bonnie Tyler songs when I was 4 years old. It sounded so great. I told her to teach me, and she did.

What happened with your father?

He abandoned us when I was 4 years old. That was like a nightmare for us. My brother was only 2. It was the worst day of our lives. Even though I was only 4, I felt the pain from my mom. I feel so depressed, that's why I asked my mom to teach me to sing. And that's why I started in contests when I was 7. I started to win, so it really helped us for a living. But it wasn't enough for a full living, so that's why I joined "Little Big Star." But then I got third place and I felt so bad because I really wanted to help my mom. But then, in just over a year, there came YouTube and everything. Now I can give my mom anything she likes.

If your album does become a big seller in the U.S., you'll become the first Asian ever to become a major pop singer here. There hasn't even been one who was born here, let alone from another country.

It's really hard to go international, so that's why I'm not expecting it right now. I love the record, but I don't know if it will go far.

Should it do so, what would that mean for you?

It's a really big privilege for me, and a big responsibility. It would show that Asians are really talented and can make it everywhere.

Okay, now the most important question. Who's cuter: Justin Timberlake or Justin Bieber?

Oh my God! I don't want to say. Justin Timberlake is so dreamy, but Justin Bieber is so cute. I have the Bieber fever. But I've met Justin Timberlake, and he's my official crush. So maybe it's 60 to 40, with Justin Timberlake more.

Source

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | ewa network review